'Tis the season to give back to those in need, especially the ones who keep our local pets warm and fed all year long. So while you're decking the halls and trimming the tree, perhaps there’s a little something you can do to help our little ones awaiting their forever homes and those that care for them most. Here are a few fun ways to help support the efforts of animal welfare organizations and animals in general!
1) Make a donation. Animal shelters and humane societies always put donated funds to good use by caring for rescue animals, getting them needed veterinary care and running campaigns to find them good homes. Donations can usually be made by cash, check or card and often you can donate online. It's a fast, easy way to spread the love! Keep an eye out for special holiday initiatives too. Sometimes, shelters run programs where they match your donation, giving you the most bang for your buck.
2) Run for pets. There are always walk-a-thons and runs that support animal welfare causes going on, year round. Make it your goal to participate in at least one a year. You'll get some exercise and your participation will go a long way towards helping pets in need.
3) Grab something extra at the grocery store. Animal shelters are always in need of dog and cat food (canned and dry), cat litter, cat and dog toys, leashes/collars, paper towels, bleach, and laundry detergent. Just swing by your local animal shelter and drop off the bag in exchange for a bear hug and loving paw of gratitude.
4) Share our ‘Rescue & Shelter Donation Program’ with your local animal rescue. We support all non-profit animal rescues and shelters by providing free tag donations to help them keep track of their pets more efficiently. Pass along this link with all of the information to your local rescue or shelter to help them help our pets in need: https://www.dogtagart.com/Shelter-Rescue-Program
5) Give of your time and skills. Another way you can give is by volunteering at your local animal shelter. You can volunteer to walk, bathe and play with the shelter animals at your convenience. You can also help with other tasks around the shelter, such as cleaning up or organizing inventory. If you have a special skill, you can offer your services too. For example, some professional photographers volunteer to take pictures of rescue animals that are up for adoption.
P.S. Another big way to give back to pets in need and make a huge difference in the life of an individual is to adopt a shelter animal if you are in a position to. Get in touch with your local animal shelter if you are considering this option.
P.P.S. Don't forget that Dog Tag Art personalized pet tags make excellent gifts. Happy howl-idays everyone!