Need help? Check our FAQ or call us toll free at 855-364-8242

Keeping Best Friends Together Since 2009

Keeping Best Friends Together Since 2009

Are Grapes Bad for Dogs? A Pet Health Guide

With the holidays upon us, many of our homes are filled with delicious foods and baked goods. Generally the fruit and vegetable group is considered to be a safe for ingestion by pets. This is not always the case however. Certain foods in this group can be hazardous and even toxic to your much loved dogs. Many holiday foods, such as cookies and fruitcakes, include grapes or raisins as an ingredient. So are grapes bad for dogs?

With the holidays upon us, many of our homes are filled with delicious foods and baked goods. Generally the fruit and vegetable group is considered to be a safe for ingestion by pets. This is not always the case however. Certain foods in this group can be hazardous and even toxic to your much loved dogs. Many holiday foods, such as cookies and fruitcakes, include grapes or raisins as an ingredient. So are grapes bad for dogs?

Statistics from the Pet Poison Helpline indicate that grapes and raisins have been known to cause acute kidney failure in dogs that have eaten the fruit in certain amounts.

Dog Dental Care

During kidney failure, a pet’s urine production decreases. They are unable to filter toxins out of their system. To date, the reason for this kidney failure and the exact amount of grapes ingested to cause problems is unknown, so all instances of ingestion have the potential to be very serious. For smaller dogs, as little as four grapes or raisins can affect your furry friend adversely.

Fungus or bacteria that grow on grapes could be the cause of this problem. Pesticides or fertilizers used in the growing process have also been named as culprits for the onset of kidney failure. Dogs have reacted to both commercially available and home-grown grapes, which means that whether they are procured from your local grocer, or fresh from the vine in your backyard, all grapes are potentially hazardous to your pet. Are grapes bad for dogs? They are definitely not good.

How to Prevent Grape Poisoning

Dog owners should try not to leave grapes and raisins, or foods containing either, on table or counter tops or any other location where a pet can sneak one when they’re not looking. You should also avoid giving your pet cookies or snacks that contain raisins. So no chocolate or yogurt-covered raisins as treats. It’s also very crucial that parents teach their children about what types of foods are not okay to feed the family dog.

Problem Symptoms

Dogs that have gotten their paws on grapes have various symptoms, including diarrhea, shivers, lethargy, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and muscle weakness. An accurate diagnose of kidney failure must be given by a veterinarian will have to take a blood and urine sample from your pet.
In any instance where your pet shows signs of unusual behavior or any of the symptoms listed above, call your veterinarian without delay. The earlier the condition is recognized and the proper treatment is started, the better your pet pal will fair.

Treating Grape Ingestion

If your pet has only recently ingested grapes or raisins, your veterinarian may induce vomiting in and administer an activated charcoal to soak up extra toxins in your dog’s body. If more time has passed, aggressive treatment, such as intravenous fluids and medications, may be required to aid your pet’s kidney functions.

So the answer to the question Are grapes bad for dogs? is quite clear. They are not and if your pet eats some please seek veterinary advise as soon as possible.

-Russ Barker

Do you know about any other foods that can harm your pets? Let us know below.

Shop Pet ID Tags with Safety and Style!