This month, we celebrate every dog’s favorite pet holiday: International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day. And to help make it all the more pawfect, we want to share some scrumptious, healthy, and just plain fun dog biscuit recipes that are easy for you to prepare, yet irresistible to your little cookie monster.
As a rule of thumb, make sure your furry friend is not allergic to and can properly digest all of the ingredients mentioned in these homemade dog treat recipes – you don’t want a mess to clean up or have to make a late-night run to the vet. Now let’s get bakin’ (and beggin’ too)!
Quick & Easy Dog Treat Recipe
This dog biscuit recipe requires only a handful of ingredients and less than 30 minutes of your time.
• Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
• Combine 1 cup of whole wheat flour, ½ tablespoon of baking powder, ½ cup of peanut butter, ¼ cup of milk, and ¼ cup of chicken broth using a mixer.
• Roll out your dough and cut individual cookies into the shape of your choice (your pup won’t care what they look like).
• Place your cookies on a greased baking surface and then let them bake for around 15-18 minutes.
Healthy Dog Treat Recipe
Don’t worry: We haven’t forgotten about those pups with sensitivities to wheat and other grains. So here’s a grain-free dog treat recipe they can safely enjoy:
• Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
• Combine 1 cup of almond flour, 1 cup of coconut flour, ½ cup of peanut butter, ½ cup of pumpkin puree, 1 egg, and ½ cup of water (or skim milk).
• Use a tablespoon to scoop your dough. Roll dough into a ball, place onto greased baking surface, and flatten with a fork.
• Bake for 18-22 minutes.
Creative Dog Cookie Recipe
Alright, this one is for all of the pooches with mature palettes and their chefs who don’t mind getting a little messy in the kitchen:
• Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine ¼ cup of mashed sweet potato, ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce, ½ cup of grated carrots, ½ cup of cooked shredded chicken, 1 egg, and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Mix well.
• Optional ingredient: Throw in a small handful of finely chopped kale to make these treats extra colorful and healthy.
• Use a tablespoon to scoop your dough. Roll dough into a ball, place onto baking surface lined with parchment paper, and flatten dough with a fork.
• Bake cookies until they are golden brown (around 20 minutes).
We hope you have a blast baking these treats for your best friend!
P.S: The sous chef says making a mess and dropping ingredients on the floor is strongly encouraged.